Latest News and New Resources - May 2017
Term 3 News
Welcome back to Term 3.
1. We have organised Term 4 meetings and you can find these on the Home page of this site. Please note the ‘cut off’ date
for your meeting and make sure you book in both your files and yourself, using the booking form, and student
2. Accreditation for the new qualifications - there are three parts to the process. One - SPEC writes a letter to support your
application. Two - your school must identify contact hours, resources, staffing three - the teacher/s needs to provide
a CV. Several schools have successfully gone through the approval process using Westmount School example.
Contact the SPEC office if you wish a copy of this to help you with your own application.
3. Congratulations to Jaimz Horne from Karamu High School - the first student to gain the New Zealand Certificate in
Foundation Skills Level 1.
4. SPEC attended the recent NASDAP conference in New Plymouth, and it was fascinating to hear key note speakers
talk about personalised learning as being future focused and the way education is going. Moving away from the ‘credit
farming’ to looking at individual goals and programmes of learning and equipping young people with the necessary
soft skills to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
5. NEW RESOURCES - We have five new Headway modules: In the Environment section, Creatures, Science Splash and
Transport, and in the Leisure section, Kiwi Icons and History.
We have also two new progression charts for the new NZ qualifications and detail of modules. Click on the Home page
posters to order.
6. Reading Scheme Books 1 - 6 are complete. This is an exciting scheme targeting students who are not motivated to read,
and are struggling to read. Click the star to print a flyer.